On 10/12/2017 4:09 AM, Saverio Proto wrote:
Hello Matt,

starting 1000 instances in production works for me already. We are on
Openstack Newton.
I described my configuration here:
https://cloudblog.switch.ch/2017/08/28/starting-1000-instances-on-switchengines/

If things blow up for you with hundreds, probably there is a
regression somewhere.

Thanks

Saverio

Thanks for posting that article, I've left some comments and questions in there for you. :)

Once I realized that conductor was timing out waiting for the response from the scheduler select_destinations() call, bumping the rpc_response_timeout config made things work.

Note that in my single-node fake driver devstack setup here I'm not creating real guests nor am I setting up networking. For the purpose of my test I was just interested in the conductor/scheduler/placement service interaction, not so much with the actual guest creation that happens in the compute service.

--

Thanks,

Matt