On 03/27/2018 10:40 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
Sylvain has had a spec up for awhile [1] about solving an old issue where admins can rename an AZ (via host aggregate metadata changes) while it has instances in it, which likely results in at least user confusion, but probably other issues later if you try to move those instances, e.g. the request spec probably points at the original AZ name and if that's gone (renamed) the scheduler probably pukes (would need to test this).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone relies on this behavior, or if they consider it a bug that the API allows admins to do this? I tend to consider this a bug in the API, and should just be fixed without a microversion. In other words, you shouldn't have to opt out of broken behavior using microversions.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/446446/

Yet another flaw in the "design" of availability zones being metadata key/values on nova host aggregates.

If we want to actually fix the issue once and for all, we need to make availability zones a real thing that has a permanent identifier (UUID) and store that permanent identifier in the instance (not the instance metadata).

Or we can continue to paper over major architectural weaknesses like this.

-jay