In case you haven't heard, there was this StarlingX thing announced at the last summit. I have gone through the enormous nova diff in their repo and the results are in a spreadsheet [1]. Given the enormous spreadsheet (see a pattern?), I have further refined that into a set of high-level charts [2].

I suspect there might be some negative reactions to even doing this type of analysis lest it might seem like promoting throwing a huge pile of code over the wall and expecting the OpenStack (or more specifically the nova) community to pick it up. That's not my intention at all, nor do I expect nova maintainers to be responsible for upstreaming any of this.

This is all educational to figure out what the major differences and overlaps are and what could be constructively upstreamed from the starlingx staging repo since it's not all NFV and Edge dragons in here, there are some legitimate bug fixes and good ideas. I'm sharing it because I want to feel like my time spent on this in the last week wasn't all for nothing.

[1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ugp1FVWMsu4x3KgrmPf7HGX8Mh1n80v-KVzweSDZunU/edit?usp=sharing [2] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1P-__JnxCFUbSVlEoPX26Jz6VaOyNg-jZbBsmmKA2f0c/edit?usp=sharing

--

Thanks,

Matt