FWIW I struggled to get back onto IRC following the recent switch of
openstack channels to requiring registration. A big part of the problem is
I never learned "real IRC" (apart from anything else real IRC is entirely
banned where I work). So in case this is useful to anyone else in a similar
situation:

What eventually worked for me is using the `webchat.freenode.net interface
to do the nickname registration mentioned here:
https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

Once I received the resulting email and typed the provided validation
command (also on webchat.freenode.net), I was then able to use my
credentials to configure my normal client (irccloud in my case) and go to
the #openstack-operators channel with my normal nickname.

What did not work for me is trying to msg nickserv from the command-line
IRC client (irssi). I can't send a message to nickserv without connecting,
and (it seems to me anyway) can't connect without a nickname. Seems a bit
chicken and egg to this IRC newbie.

See you (back) on our IRC channel!

Chris

--