On 08/29/2018 12:39 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
If we're going to discuss removing move operations from Nova, we should
do that in another thread. This one is about making existing operations
work :)

OK, understood. :)

The admin only "owns" the instance because we have no ability to
transfer ownership of the instance and a cell isn't a user-visible
thing. An external script that accomplishes this kind of orchestrated
move from one cell to another could easily update the ownership of
said instance in the DB.

So step 5 was "do surgery on the database"? :)

Yep. You'd be surprised how often that ends up being the case.

I'm currently sitting here looking at various integration tooling for doing just this kind of thing for our deployments of >150K baremetal compute nodes. The number of specific-to-an-environment variables that need to be considered and worked into the overall migration plan is breathtaking. And trying to do all of that inside of Nova just isn't feasible for the scale at which we run.

At least, that's my point of view. I won't drag this conversation out any further on tangents.

Best,
-jay