On 9/12/2018 5:13 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
Sure, and I'm saying that instead I think the influence of TC
members_can_  be more valuable in finding and helping additional
people to do these things rather than doing it all themselves, and
it's not just about the limited number of available hours in the day
for one person versus many. The successes goal champions experience,
the connections they make and the elevated reputation they gain
throughout the community during the process of these efforts builds
new leaders for us all.

Again, I'm not saying TC members should be doing all of the work themselves. That's not realistic, especially when critical parts of any major effort are going to involve developers from projects on which none of the TC members are active contributors (e.g. nova). I want to see TC members herd cats, for lack of a better analogy, and help out technically (with code) where possible.

Given the repeated mention of how the "help wanted" list continues to not draw in contributors, I think the recruiting role of the TC should take a back seat to actually stepping in and helping work on those items directly. For example, Sean McGinnis is taking an active role in the operators guide and other related docs that continue to be discussed at every face to face event since those docs were dropped from openstack-manuals (in Pike).

I think it's fair to say that the people generally elected to the TC are those most visible in the community (it's a popularity contest) and those people are generally the most visible because they have the luxury of working upstream the majority of their time. As such, it's their duty to oversee and spend time working on the hard cross-project technical deliverables that operators and users are asking for, rather than think of an infinite number of ways to try and draw *others* to help work on those gaps. As I think it's the role of a PTL within a given project to have a finger on the pulse of the technical priorities of that project and manage the developers involved (of which the PTL certainly may be one), it's the role of the TC to do the same across openstack as a whole. If a PTL doesn't have the time or willingness to do that within their project, they shouldn't be the PTL. The same goes for TC members IMO.

--

Thanks,

Matt