You have been subscribed to a public bug by Thierry Carrez (ttx):

More details on:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nova/+question/176938

Say I had 2 disks, disk1 and disk2 (represented by 2 volumes). disk1 has the
root-file-system and disk2 has some data. I boot an instances using the
boot-from-volumes extension, and specify the 2 disks such as disk1 should be
attached to /dev/vda and disk2 to /dev/vdb. When the instance is launched it
fails to boot, because it tries to find the root-filesystem on disk2 instead.

The underlying problem is with virsh/libvirt. Boot fails because in the
libvirt.xml file created by Openstack, disk2 (/dev/vdb) is listed before
disk1 (/dev/vda). So, what happens is that the hypervisor attaches disk2
first (since its listed first in the XML). Therefore when these disks
are attached on the guest, disk2 appears as /dev/vda and disk1 as
/dev/vdb. Later the kernel tries to find the root filesystem on
'/dev/vda' (because that's what is selected as the root) and it fails
for obvious reason. I think it's a virsh bug. It should be smart about
it and attach the devices in the right order.

** Affects: nova

** Tags: volumes
--
Cannot boot from volume with 2 devices