2011/2/17 Brian Schott <bfsch...@gmail.com>:
> One thing we saw in the list and experienced first hand is that your Hudson
> server uses a pre-configured environment and ours pulls virtual env every
> time.  We had failures on trunk that yours missed because of new pip pulled
> versions.

> A fresh run_tests.sh -f needs to work.  It is the only guaranteed sanity test
> everybody can replicate.

That's not technically accurate. Every part of the environment in
which we run the tests can be rebuilt in a reproducible manner.
Everything on that box is packaged and available in a PPA from which
anyone can build an identical test system.

> It might pull upstream bugs, but better to be ahead of that curve than behind.

I agree that the status quo is not good enough. However, I don't agree
that we should pull stuff from pip directly. Ubuntu is our primary
target platform, that's the reference, that's where we absolutely
*must* function. I'd be *delighted* if we tested our stuff more
broadly, and I welcome efforts to do so, but whether this works on
Ubuntu or not is the deal breaker.

That said, our tests right now are run on Maverick with a set of
backported packages (all available in a PPA, though), but really ought
to run on Natty. We should look into that ASAP.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer    http://www.ubuntu.com/