Of all the boostrapping mechanisms I have encountered, the AWS model still
remains the best. Specifically, with the guest OS pulling the keys from a
trusted platform source.

Any mechanism that requires an agent or requires any ability of the hypervisor
or cloud platform to inject a password creates trust issues. In particular, the
hypervisor and platform should avoid operations that reach into the guest. The
guest should have the option of complete control over its data.

-George

On Mar 3, 2011, at 7:16 AM, Ed Leafe wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2011, at 11:41 PM, Mark Washenberger wrote:
>
>> To your main point, I share your desire to be able to turn off password
>> injection during instance creation. (For clarity, I'm assuming that your
>> preference is to create the vm with no root password and only ssh keys as a
>> means of access.) I guess the main problem with this is that it isn't in the
>> 1.[01] spec so we'd need to agree on a sensible way of adding it to the api.
>>
>> Does anyone know if it would create any compatibility problems to support an
>> optional "disable_admin_pass": "True" attribute to the /servers POST
>> request? Are there any reasons other than compatibility to require an
>> adminPass to always be set?
>
>       Right now password injection is a function of the guest agent running
> under XenServer; there is no way of setting this directly from nova. So if
> you're not running XenServer, or not running the guest agent (still being
> developed), there is no password setting being done.
>
>       Alternatively, you could create a separate guest agent that expects a
> user's public key, writes that to the VM, and disables SSH, so that your
> instances are created with the security scheme that you want.
>

> -- Ed Leafe

George Reese - Chief Technology Officer, enStratus
e: george.re...@enstratus.com    t: @GeorgeReese    p: +1.207.956.0217    f:
+1.612.338.5041
enStratus: Governance for Public, Private, and Hybrid Clouds - @enStratus -
http://www.enstratus.com