Pvo brought up a good use case for naming a little while ago: Migrations.

If we use the instance id (assume UNC) to provide hints to the target zone,
this means the instance id would need to change should the instance move
locations. That's a no-no by everyone's measure.

So, now I'm thinking more about Justin's comment about an external registry.

Perhaps a glance-like entry with metadata that can change?

Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is
prohibited.
If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
e-mail
at ab...@rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.