On 3 May 2011, at 13:30, Todd Willey wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik
> <dirk-willem.van.gu...@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Why is that? It seems like a win to distribute as much processing as
> >> possible, including SSL termination?
> >
> > Because most load balancing vendors are either 1) convinced that they need
> > to go up the stack and have gradually made it impossible to do blind socket
> > LB - and insist on looking at headers and what not, or 2) is soo far out of
> > touch and old that blind socket forwarding is not overly practical as the
> > outdated means to inform the LB what to blindly forward where is just too
> > painful.
>
> I was thinking of hardware acceleration.

Aye, Agreed - though these days - once the intial DSA/RSA negotiation is done -
the rest is getting less and less painful[1] in modern environments - and give
its very cloudy nature - quite likely distributed with enough CPU spare cycles.

> > But yes - a bright vendor/standard would indeed do a clever pass through to
> > the distributed boxes for at least the initial exchange; optionally
> > facilitate session sharing and/or providing it in-line and after the
> > exchange it could be informed of the session key and then do a bit more
> > than just blind forwarding.
> >
> > Dw.

Dw.

1: http://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html