I agree with all of your points. Having to maintain a client library wasn't on
our list of "fun things to do".

The only thing I can see in Jacobian's python-openstack.compute branch that
differs from his old Rackspace API library is the addition of the auth URL and
a rebranding.

We added that functionality to his old project last year, issued a pull request
and were ignored. Perhaps his stance on working with us has changed since?

Moreover, since that first pull request we've really moved on with the project
and there is much more functionality in the library:
- the new zone capabilities
- api versioning
- new OS 1.1 features
- better error handling and reporting
- better debugging

That said, the more we deal with the library the more we realize we should
re-evaluate its use. It's a very chatty implementation ... frequently
round-tripping to the server to fetch more detailed information. This is fine
for a CLI, but as an internal library too inefficient.

Rather than merging these two efforts perhaps we should consider a new tack?

https://github.com/jacobian/openstack.compute
https://github.com/rackspace/python-novaclient

-S