2011/7/8 Ed Leafe <ed.le...@rackspace.com>:
>        No, it would work more like: a new instance is requested, and the host
> selected. A candidate UUID would be generated and checked for "first 8"
> uniqueness (I had already added a db method to locate by the first 8 chars of
> a UUID across nested zones). When an acceptable UUID was generated, it would
> be passed to the selected host along with the create request. The instance
> would only have to be created once.

If we're doing collision checking anyway, using UUID's to being with
is pointless. We're effectively reduced to a 32 bit key space and,
even worse, we're not being smart enough about it to actually do
without the extra DB roundtrip to check for collisions.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/