Hi folks,

At the last OpenStack meeting, Vish asked me to send out an update on the
Quantum project.  Here's some info:

Quantum is a virtual network service, targeted at Openstack.  If you're not
familiar with Quantum, please see:
- http://wiki.openstack.org/Quantum
- http://launchpad.net/quantum
- http://www.slideshare.net/danwent/quantum-diablo-summary

During the Diablo timeframe, we've been focused on creating a standalone
Quantum service with a tenant API to create networks and attach devices to
those networks.  This work has progressed at a rapid pace.  A beta is
already available and we'll be finalizing our first official release,
including a v1.0 version of the API, at the end of Diablo.  See:
https://code.launchpad.net/quantum

The Quantum service has a pluggable backend.  More plugins are in the works,
but currently there are plugins for two classes of switches:
- Open vSwitch switches that perform software switching on any Linux-based
systems (KVM and XenServer)
- Cisco UCS and Nexus based systems leveraging 802.1qbh-enabled
NICs  (merged today, congrats team!) .

For those interested in something hands-on, I created a variant of Vish's
nova.sh script and a simple automated demo you can do with an Ubuntu host
using the Open vSwitch plugin:  http://wiki.openstack.org/QuantumOVSDemo

Other major areas of focus for Diablo-4 release and beyond:
-  Finalization of v1.0 API
-  Integration with Nova + Melange (IPAM) using a new QuantumManager class
in Nova
-  GUI for network configuration based on OpenStack Dashboard
-  API Extensions that expose advanced network capabilities (e.g., ACLs,
QoS, Netflow)
-  Jenkins integration.
-  Better documentation (yay!)

We're planning on proposing Quantum for OpenStack incubation at next week's
PPB meeting.

For those interested in the gory details of Quantum design + project
discussions, you can join the public netstack email list:
https://launchpad.net/~netstack (archives:
https://lists.launchpad.net/netstack/).

For everyone else, we'll do a better job of periodically communicating
progress to the community at large.  Hopefully we'll be approved for
incubation in which case we'll provide an update at the end of each main
openstack meeting with the other incubated projects :)

Dan