Chris Behrens wrote:

> Well, I can actually say with confidence that the replacement would be stable
> by essex release.  In fact, I expect the first commit to be a completely
> working solution that solves a number of problems with the original
> implementation.  I don't think there's any issue getting something committed
> by the 15th if there's not much bickering on the review.  The code is dead
> simple (currently a 500 line diff) and requires almost no modification of
> nova core.  The only modifications to nova core are:
>
> Specify a different compute API class to use
> Modify rpc code to allow some kwargs to Connection __init__ so you can
> specify a specific rabbit server to use to send a message to a zone
> Add 2 new rpc methods:   cast_to_zone and call_to_zone (which use the above
> change)
> Add a few zone_api.update_instance() calls in some places in compute so that
> we can push instance updates to top level zone.
> Migration for zones DB table to add rpc credential information.
>
> Besides that, the rest of the code is standalone.  There's absolutely no
> concern that it'll make non-zones less stable.  The few
> zone_api.update_instance() type calls would be no-ops when zones is turned
> off.

It still introduces a bit of disturbance in the Force, if only by loss
of focus on bugfixing. From where I'm standing it boils down to how
broken the current zone code is... and how much better the replacement
code would be.

I'll admit I have trouble properly evaluating how functional zone code
is with my couple laptops, so I'll trust you guys (Chris, Vish,
Alejandro) on that: if the new code is significantly more functional
than the old one, and the whole thing does not really touch non-zone
code, I'd say go for it... by the 15th at the latest !

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack