On 03/20/2012 11:19 AM, David Kranz wrote:
In a diablo/kvm cluster that has been running for a long time, a user
reported problems with some vms, tried rebooting them and eventually
deleted them. I recently noticed messages in the nova compute log like:
Found 13 in the database and 10 on the hypervisor.

Looking at the source code I understand that this means the instances
have been deleted as far as the hypervisor is concerned, but nova still
thinks they are there.

Correct.

I found the offending instances in the database and they were still
listed as in the active state even though they
had a deletion date recorded. I tried to delete them but was unable due
to a foreign key error with virtual_interfaces. I could play around with
deleting various things from the database but there are real users. Is
their a documented way to "clean up" the state of the nova database in
such situations? It seems like a bug that the database could get into
this state.

I also ran into this issue on Diablo/KVM...

Also, it seems that deleted instances are never removed from the
database. Is that a bug?

No, it's not a bug. But was is a bug is ACTIVE status instances that are deleted.

Another issue right now is that Essex has moved on and much of the code involved in this stuff is substantially different in trunk. We first need to identify whether this issue exists in trunk today, and if so, patch trunk and then backport a patch to Diablo...

Best,
-jay