With the pending release of Essex, I'm making plans to upgrade our internal
cloud infrastructure.  My question is what will be the best approach?

Our cloud is being used to support internal research activities and thus needs
to be 'relatively' stable, however as new features become available (major
features), it would be nice to be able to role them into our operational cloud
relatively painlessly (wishful thinking perhaps).

My question is, should I base our new installation directly off the Essex
branch in the git repository, or use the packages that will be deployed as part
of the associated Ubuntu 12.04LTS release?  With Diablo, I was forced to use
packages from the ManagedIT PPA with additional Keystone patches to get a
consistent, stable platform up and running.  Obviously, some of these problems
were due to confusion caused by various documents describing different
incarnations of Openstack, and not really knowing what was current and stable.
Especially the packages shipped with Ubuntu made assumptions about how
Openstack was to be deployed that wasn't really apparent.

Just wondering.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards,
Ross