I have been meaning to draft a blueprint around this.

What we have today:

*         Migrate: move a VM from one server to another, reboots across the
move (I think) and destination is picked by scheduler

*         LiveMigration: move a VM form one server to another, VM doesn't
appear to reboot, need to specify the destination

I propose we extent the Migrate API (thinking about nova CLI here really) to
include:

*         Optional Flag to force non-live migration, default to live migration

*         Optional destination host, by default let the scheduler choose

*         Deprecate the existing live migration API and CLI calls
What do people think?

I am in the process of adding Live migration support to XenServer:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/xenapi-live-migration

If people like the idea, I should get chance to draft and implement this for
Folsom, but I am happy for others to do this if they are also interested.

Cheers,
John