This seemed to crop up quite a lot in different sessions at the Design summit.
I am certainly interested in a standard way to inject information into VMs.

What I think we need is a cross hypervisor two-way guest communication channel
that is fairly transparent to the user of that VM (i.e. ideally not a network
connection).

If I understand things correctly, we currently have these setup ideas:

*         Config Drive (not supported by XenAPI, but not a two way transport)

*         Cloud-Init / Metadata service (depends on DHCP(?), and not a two-way
transport)

But to set the password, we ideally want two way communication. We currently
have these:

*         XenAPI guest plugin (XenServer specific, uses XenStore, but two way,
no networking assumed )

*         Serial port (used by http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Qemu_guest_agent
but not supported on XenServer)

I like the idea of building a common interface (maybe write out to a known file
system location) for the above two hypervisor specific mechanisms. The agent
should be able to pick which mechanism works. Then on top of that, we could
write a common agent that can be shared for all the different hypervisors. You
could also fallback to the metadata service and config drive when no two way
communication is available.

I would love this Guest Agent to be an OpenStack project that can then be up
streamed into many Linux distribution cloud images.

Sadly, I don't have any time to work on this right now, but hopefully that will
change in the near future.

Cheers,
John