Hi,
So, if I paraphrase correctly what is meant out of the stacker jargon.

min_count and max_count doc will go in the API doc as an extension item
once the DisableServerExtension cleanup is done. Right?

However, the original question was about the *num_instances* property of
the RPC request spec. I do not see a direct relationship with min_count and
max_count. So, is num_instances another undocumented API extension
parameter or something else?

I can see also that DisableServerExtensions proposal mentions a *reservation_id
*parameter... Can someone explain what it is ? Is it to support server
reservation like in AWS EC2? And so, would a user be able to create a
reservation (that is, not to actually create the reserve servers but to
reserve the) with say additional min_count max_count parameters in the
request. The reservation would fail if min_count cannot be honored by
OpenStack. If the reservation can be honored, would return a reservation_id
along with a value between min_count and max_count. Is this a correct
understanding of the behavior or complete speculation?

Thanks for shedding some light on this

Best regards,
Patrick

2012/8/7 Anne Gentle <a...@openstack.org>

> These were documented but then pulled out because min_count and
> max_count are not to spec.
>
> We are now working on a cleanup effort described at
> http://wiki.openstack.org/DisableServerExtensions.
>
> It seems the log from the last Nova meeting where this was discussed
> is gathered together with the QA team meeting due to the meetbot not
> being turned off between meetings.
>
> The log is here, scroll to the bottom to read.
>
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2012/openstack-meeting.2012-08-02-17.00.log.html
>
> Hope this is helpful - though cleanup will be the most helpful, please
> feel free to join in the effort. :)
> Anne
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM, David Kranz <david.kr...@qrclab.com>
> wrote:
> > It is a little strange but the following seems to be true.
> >
> > 1. The nova HTTP API has a max_count and min_count that go in the request
> > dictionary.
> > 2. This is not documented.
> > 3. The novaclient python api create function has these arguments.
> > 4. The novaclient cli does not have them, or at least they are not
> > documented by 'nova help boot'.
> >
> > Beats me why this is the case...
> >
> >  -David
> >

> > On 8/7/2012 1:47 PM, Patrick Petit wrote:
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Looking into the details of the request_spec part of a RPC message
> ensuing a
> > nova boot command.
> > There is a 'num_instances' : 1 property that implies the value could be
> > different than one (default) even though there is no cardinality
> parameter
> > in nova boot nor in the API (unless I missed something big). So, I am
> > curious to know: why is it there if we cannot create more than one
> instance
> > at a time through the API, but more importantly is there a (secret) way
> > set that value different than 1 to tell the scheduler "please create
> > multiple instances of that type".
> > Thanks in advance
> > Patrick

*"Give me a place to stand, and I shall move the earth with a lever"*