________________________________
From: Doug Hellmann [doug.hellm...@dreamhost.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:54 PM
To: Sandy Walsh
openstack@lists.launchpad.net
Subject: Re: [Openstack] [openstack-dev] [metering][ceilometer] Unified
Instrumentation, Metering, Monitoring ...

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Sandy Walsh
<sandy.wa...@rackspace.com<mailto:sandy.wa...@rackspace.com>> wrote:
Hey!

(sorry for the top-posting, crappy web client)

There is a periodic task already in the compute manager that can handle this:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/manager.py#L3021

There seems to be some recent (to me) changes in the manager now wrt the
resource_tracker.py and stats.py files about how this information gets relayed.
Now it seems it only goes to the db, but previously it was sent to a fanout
queue that the schedulers could use.

Regardless, this is done at a high enough level that it doesn't really care
about the underlying virt layer, so long at the virt layer supports the
get_available_resource() method.

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/resource_tracker.py#L152
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/xenapi/driver.py#L392
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py#L2209

I'd add a hook in there do what we want with this data. Write it to the db,
send it over the wire, whatever. If there is additional information required,
it should go in this dictionary (or we should define a format for extensions to
it).

Yes