On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 07:16 AM, Daniel He wrote:

> I also thought zeromq but we need some quantitative measure. Does
> anyone have tested zeromq already? thanks

I've seen ZeroMQ based messaging running in multiple production OpenStack
installations.

As the primary author of the zeromq messaging driver, my goal has been to
achieve partition tolerance and high availability. Performance is not a primary
motivator and is not something I have too deeply concerned myself with. I
believe the pattern implemented by the zeromq driver should prove performant,
but I also recognize that I have chosen not to prematurely optimize and there
is room for improvement.

In terms of partition tolerance and high availability, I (perhaps biased)
believe that ZeroMQ driver is superior to AMQP based messaging systems for the
specific use-cases within Nova, Cinder, Glance, Quantum.  However, the
complexities of supporting fanout and topic exchanges with ZeroMQ makes the
driver the most difficult to configure in the short-term. For Nova, the
configuration is actually quite basic, but for Quantum, the zeromq driver is
currently impractical with upstream code. Specifically, considerable
improvements must be made to the matchmaker modules, which involves host
discovery for fanout and topic exchanges. The matchmaker is pluggable, so I
hesitate to say what is out there now is wholly incapable of supporting
Quantum, but we need something better upstream.

I'm seeking to make the driver configuration-free, hopefully within Grizzly, to
make it the easiest out-of-the-box experience available within OpenStack. You
wouldn't need a dedicated broker (or brokers), configuration of messaging
hosts, usernames, or passwords. If successful, messaging will "just work" out
of the box with ZeroMQ selected.

Regards,
Eric Windisch