he only real problem is that it would consume a lot of IP addresses when
exposing the public interfaces.   I _think_ I may have the solution in your
blog actually:
http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2012/10/19/highly-available-lvs/
and
http://clusterlabs.org/wiki/Using_ldirectord

I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of this method vs keepalived/haproxy
and just biting the bullet and using one IP per service.