On 26/02/2013, at 2:15 PM, Chris Behrens <cbehr...@codestud.com> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2013, at 6:39 PM, Joe Gordon <j...@cloudscaling.com> wrote:
>

>> It looks like the scheduler issues are related to the rabbitmq issues.
>> "host 'qh2-rcc77' ... is disabled or has not been heard from in a while"
>>
>> What does 'nova host-list' say?   the clocks must all be synced up?
>
> Good things to check.  It feels like something is spinning way too much
> within this filter, though.  This can also cause the above message.  The
> scheduler pulls all of the records before it starts filtering… and if there's
> a huge delay somewhere, it can start seeing a bunch of hosts as disabled.
>
> The filter doesn't look like a problem.. unless there's a large amount of
> aggregate metadata… and/or a large amount of key/values for the
> instance_type's extra specs.   There *is* a DB call in the filter.  If that's
> blocking for an extended period of time, the whole process is blocked…  But I
> suspect by the '100% cpu' comment, that this is not the case…  So the only
> thing I can think of is that it returns a tremendous amount of metadata.
>
> Adding some extra logging in the filter could be useful.
>
> - Chris

Thanks Chris, I have 2 aggregates and 2 keys defined and each of the 80 hosts
has either one or the other. At the moment every flavour has either one or the
other too so I don't think it's too much data.

I've tracked it down to this call:

metadata = db.aggregate_metadata_get_by_host(context, host_state.host)

It's taking forever to complete. Just having a look into that code to see why,
there is a nested for loop in there so my guess is something to do with that
although there is hardly any data in our aggregates tables so I can't see it
taking that long.

Cheers,
Sam