If you look at http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/openstack_libvirt_images/#1361764412, you'll see that resize2fs is performed. But there is a caveat with RHEL6 which is Linux 2.6 (contrary to Ubuntu 12.04 which is Linux 3.0).
If you look at "man resize2fs" :

The resize2fs program will resize ext2, ext3, or ext4 file systems. It can be used to enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on device. If the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of the mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-line resizing. (As of this writing, the Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line
       resize for filesystems mounted using ext3 only.).

You absolutely need to create ext3 root partition for that working.

-Sylvain