There are no plans to change the current implementation of tempurl.

In order to generate a tempurl that can be validated without relying on a
network call to a centralized authority service, the owner and the service must
have a shared secret. In the tempurl feature, this shared secret is set as a
metadata key on the account. This allows the content owner to generate as many
keys as necessary (without having to call an external service) and allows Swift
to validate each one (without calling an external service).

Note that an auth token is only needed in order to save the shared secret in
the account metadata. Once the shared secret is set, neither the owner of the
content nor the user of the tempurl (ie someone otherwise without access to the
swift cluster) need a valid auth token to generate or use a tempurl.

The only official docs for tempurl are at
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/misc.html#module-swift.common.middleware.tempurl
 (We should probably have some docs written for
http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-object-storage/1.0/content/ on this
feature.)

--John