After loading nbd module in compute node, I continued trying to boot from a
bootable cinder volume but this is what I see in nova-compute.log.

I am not using Cinder so maybe this isn't an option for you, but my
recommendation is to blacklist the "nbd" module altogether, and remove
the nbd option from the nova-compute upstart init file.  It is a neat
protocol but it has not been nearly reliable enough to use on my
system.

nova-compute is able to work around the missing nbd module (with
glance at least), and it cut my image create and snapshot times
drastically in addition to reducing the launch & snapshot failures.

Mark