Since time immemorial, I've accepted as a fact of life that routing from a nova instance to another instance via floating ip is impossible. We've coped with this via a hack in dnsmasq, setting an alias to rewrite public IPs to the corresponding internal IP.

Right now I'm trying to move our instances off of dnsmasq and onto a more robust designate/pdns setup. Unfortunately, pdns does not support split-horizon nor the aliasing scheme that we used in dnsmasq. This has me back to square one, wishing that we could just make the routing work in the first place. A recent IRC conversation leads me to believe that this issue may actually be fixed in modern nova-network versions (with the fix disabled by default), but a day of googling hasn't turned up much confirmation.

Is there a fix for this I'm missing? If not, what kind of solutions are people using to work around it?

I'm running Icehouse with flatdhcp nova-network and a single network node. Details about the problematic routing can be found in this public phabricator task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96924

    Thanks!

-Andrew