Hi,

this seems to be exptected, the docs say:

"Shut down the source VM before you take the snapshot to ensure that all data is flushed to disk."

So if the VM is not shut down, it's freezed to prevent data loss (I guess). Depending on your storage backend, there are other ways to perform backups of your VMs. We use Ceph as backend for nova, glance and cinder. Ceph stores the disks, images and volumes as Rados block device objects. We have a backup script that creates snapshots of these RBDs, which are exported to our backup drive. This way the running VM is not stopped or freezed, the user doesn't notice any issues. Unlike a nova snapshot, the rbd snapshot is created immediately within a few seconds. After a successful backup the snapshots are removed.

Hope this helps! If you are interested in Ceph, visit [1].

Regards,
Eugen

[1] http://docs.ceph.com/docs/giant/start/intro/

Zitat von John Petrini <jpetr...@coredial.com>:

Hello,

I've just started experimenting with nova backup and discovered that there
is a period of time during the snapshot where the instance becomes
unreachable. Is this behavior expected during a live snapshot? Is there any
way to prevent this?

___

John Petrini

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77

        Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
          Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                  Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                   USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983