A global cluster is one logical cluster that durably stores data across all the
available failure domains (the highest level of failure domain is "region").
For example, if you have 2 regions (ie DCs)and you're using 4 replicas, you'll
end up with 2 replicas in each.

Container sync is for taking a subset of data stored in one Swift cluster and
synchronizing it with a different Swift cluster. Each Swift cluster is
autonomous and handles it's own durability. So, eg if each Swift cluster uses 3
replicas, you'll end up with 6x total storage for the data that is synced.

In most cases, people use global clusters and are happy with it. It's
definitely been more used than container sync, and the sync process in global
clusters is more efficient.

However, deploying a multi-region Swift cluster comes with an extra set of
challenges above and beyond a single-site deployment. You've got to consider
more things with your inter-region networking, your network routing, the access
patterns in each region, your requirements around locality, and the data
placement of your data.

All of these challenges are solvable, of course. Start with
https://swift.openstack.org and also feel free to ask here on the mailing list
or on freenode IRC in #openstack-swift.

Good luck!

John