Hi,

Am Samstag, 10. August 2019, 19:20:41 CEST schrieb Bill Merriam:
> Somewhere, I suppose reddit, I read that discussion of opensuse support
> for RPI4 was taking place on IRC.  Somewhere I read that opensuse no
> longer uses IRC and has switched to Matrix.  I found https://en.opensus
> e.org/openSUSE:Communication_channels.  I found https://planet.opensuse
> .org/global/.  I found https://forums.opensuse.org/forum.php.  I found
> https://lizards.opensuse.org/.
>
> I can't find any discussion of work on support for the rpi4.  IS there
> a communication channel being used to discuss that?  Am I allowed to
> lurk there and follow along?

#opensuse-factory and #opensuse-arm on freenode.
The former is bridged over Matrix IIRC, but I don't know whether the latter
is as well.
It's possible that no dev is online when you're writing on IRC, so using this
ML is arguably even better.

You can follow the progress on the u-boot and linux-arm-kernel development
mailing lists.

> I did, BTW, find instructions online for booting raspbian with u-boot.
> I have considered setting that up and trying to boot an opensuse root
> file system with u-boot from there.  Would that be a productive use of
> my time?

If your goal is just to have some form of openSUSE running on it, the quickest
option is to just boot into an armv7 openSUSE rootfs using the raspbian kernel.
That way you also skip building and installing u-boot.
(Not tested, so far only a theory)

For aarch64 you'd have to build a custom u-boot and kernel. Some drivers such
as PCI-E aren't mainline and so do not work outside of the downstream kernel.

Cheers,
Fabian