For my notebook I have two batteries: a larger one, and a smaller
one.

When I start my notebook with the larger one, later suspend, swap
the batteries, and work with the smaller one, GNOME always shows
the battery less than half full (even if the battery is actually
fully loaded, just at half the capacity of the original one).

(The display under Power Statistics is also a little odd, with
"Energy when full 72.1 Wh" and "Energy (design) 23.2 Wh" ;-).

How do I get GNOME to realize the battery has been swapped?

It appears upower has the incorrect information to begin with.

Still, there's got to be a better way than killing and restarting
upowerd.

Gerald