Dear All,

It has been a while since I gave some insight of what’s new at NUI.fr

The more and more I think at it, I reckon than to make a report of an event
every month, it does necessitate opening the report template, but most of us
would attempt to complete these reports from work and even from a smartphone
while travelling. I therefore propose a form and a box for free writing and
here you go! This form can be programmed to be emailed automatically to the
mailing list. A login would be preferable in order to avoid spam.

Since my last report, we kept the monthly event jmll.fr and we noticed that
the madding crowd was getting thinner over the months! The question is why?
And analyzing who came, why they came and from where they came, the answer
was economics.

What has economics got to do with openSUSE, open source et al? Well, the
municipality rents a room to NUI.fr on a yearly basis, we do keep most
material there, and we only take home our brand new laptops, those that we
use daily. These premises are located in *the* commercial center of the city
and the metro station is adjacent together with a huge parking (not free).
We chose this venue because of the number of visitors of commercial center
and the practical meeting place for everybody.

Many a time (in the past) we found men coming to our venue while their wives
went shopping. There has also been cases where men went shopping and left
their wives with us in order to better their IT skills. For the last months,
with the ongoing recession, people started to avoid the commercial centre
and obviously the events hosted in the municipality premises are getting
thinner. Other activities held there are: yoga, dancing, photography, chess,
embroidery, crafting and around 40 more. The leaders of these other clubs
also complain on the number of their visitors. The figures are fractions of
what we used to get.
17-déc 2011 = 8
14 JAN 2012 = 6
18 FEV 2012 = 11

We also have staff from mediawiki on board with us now.

It would appear that Windows 7 is a good vintage and that people are *not*
looking for a substitute. We have two appointments for the next venue i.e.
17th March next: A woman wants to shrink her Windows partition and increase
her Linux partition. Another woman left her computer for an erase and a
clean install of openSUSE.

We do have loads of places where we do our advertising and marketing,
including radio, newspaper, FB, twitter, etc. This does not seem to be seen,
viewed and heard by the whole population. We are not aiming at a geeks only
venue...

Anyway, apart from the usual monthly venues, we are also having the yearly
RSSIL in Maubeuge the 2nd and 3rd June and RMLL in Geneva 7th – 12th July
and Software Freedom Day 15th September.

I have changed work and is in another bank, they use SUSE there, I need to
lure them to openSUSE...

Let’s get the ball running and stay positive!

Keep up the good job and rest assured of my fullest attention and services
at all times.