correo...@gmail.com has great points about news. At Fedora, the ambassador's program there is well defined, very active, and the responsiveness is almost always just about immediate.

The involvement and recruiting route for members and ambassadors for openSUSE is currently confused with dead and outdated links on the openSUSE web pages. I mention this because I went through it myself recently to get to Ambassador status. There are also references to mailing lists that are no longer used; I was routed to this one by a friend who let me know that the one referenced on the web pages was defunct.

We can go to technical conferences and encourage involvement from users and also recruit them to get involved as ambassadors, however if they get to the web pages and the links that route them to the status of ambassador are outdated or no longer used, that tends to give the impression that we are not an active or responsive community, and even that sections of the website have been abandoned.

We need an active effort to get the openSUSE web pages up to date and we need a well defined route to openSUSE advocacy for new recruits, as we pull them in at the technical conferences. Otherwise the work, effort and energy we put in on behalf of openSUSE towards new interested users and potential new Ambassadors could be wasted effort. New users, Ambassadors, and advocates are the future of openSUSE.

--aelaric