Op zondag 4 juni 2006 00:34, schreef Pascal Bleser:
> > I think that the buildserver could build/create a channel rpm for each
> > project and have those stored in a central place.  This would be a good
> > start.
>
> It won't be in a central place, unfortunately.

In my phrase above, I referred to the projects that are build on the
buildserver.  I mean if the packages are allowed to be build on the
buildserver, they are allowed to be distributed by by opensuse.  Or are these
2 different animals?

If all sofrtware build on the buildserver is allowed to be distributed by
novell/opensuse, than it is also possible to create smart channel files/rpms
for each of the projects hosted on the buildserver.  Once an rpm is created
it can be stored/movedto a common directory on the buildserver.

> It could be done for repositories that don't contain stuff like mad or
> lame (which discards my repository and Packman, at the very least), like
> latest mozilla.org packages, latest wine packages by Marcus, latest
> OpenOffice.org packages, etc...
>
> But the other ones must be hosted elsewhere.

See above.  It's about the software provided via the buildserver.  At the end
it may result in 2 'smart-channel' repositories.  One at the buildserver and
another 1 hosted somewhere else, providing smart-channel rpms that are not
possible to host on the buildserver.

> Note that this structure would make it possible to host the/my smart
> RPMs in the openSUSE Build Service.
> I was very reluctant to the idea, and I'm still pretty sure it is going
> to make things more difficult for end-users but well... dunno... I'll
> think about it ;)
>
> The point is that to install e.g. smart-channel-packman, you'll have to
> add the Packman repository in the first place, because it won't be
> hosted in the Build Service... chicken vs egg.

No, it will be different.  Assume that there are 2 smart-channel directories
(buildserver, and e.g. at packman).  You should include those 2 channels by
default in your smart rpm.  The only thing the user now has to do to add
packman is:

smart install smart-channel-packman and packman is added.... :)

In the same swing, one can execute:
smart install smart-channel-bs-home:rbos (bs = buildserver)

ps: is this discussion okay to be held here (opensuse = community) or should
it be moved to somewhere else?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless