Russell Jones wrote:
> You misunderstand. If Vorbis v1.3 (say) infringes a (submarine or
> otherwise) patent, the next version, e.g. v2.0, will be changed such
> that it does not. You just won't be able to play v1.3 files on a v2.0
> player.

That seems like a serious disincentive to designing hardware around the
format, though.  People are going to be unhappy if they spend $300 a new
Yoyodyne Oggmaster music player and it doesn't play their old Ogg
files.  Or if the music player they bought a year ago suddenly can't
play new music.  I'd hate to be the tech support person who had to
explain that one.