Rajko M. wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 22:37, dwain wrote:
>
>> Rajko M. wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 21:06, dwain wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you tried a bigger drive.
>>> BIOS is relevant only for the first moments of booting, and for placement
>>> of boot partition.
>>>
>> Yes I have.  Before I updated the BIOS I tried a 40GB drive and the
>> machine didn't recognize the drive at all.  Since updating the BIOS I
>> know that the machine will read a 40GB drive.  I have not tried anything
>> larger, but if the board manufacturer is correct, 40GB is the limit with
>> the BIOS update.
>>

> As Carlos mentioned there was the time that we had to type number of heads,
> cylinders and sectors, but linux worked.
>
> I can't say for sure, that it will work, as it can be some limitation in disk
> controller.
>
> I'm sure that even with the BIOS limitation to 1024 cylinders, which is long
> time obsolete, it was possible to use much larger drives than recognized by
> the BIOS. The only limitation was that kernel and initrd must be within first
> 1024 cylinders. That was usually assured by setting small boot partition in
> the begining of the drive, up to the 1023 cylinder (numbering is starting
> with 0 ). That is actually where separate boot partition has its purpose.

This is way over my head, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around this.
I can set auto detection for the primary drive (or all of the
peripherals for that matter) in the BIOS, but since the BIOS is the
first to load (?) and the board manufacturer says with the BIOS update I
have that the largest drive I can use is 40GB, how do I get a larger
drive to be read so I can load the operating system on it? Not that I
need anything larger than a 40GB drive anyway.

--
Dwain Alford
P.O. Box 145

telephone:  205.487.2570
cellphone:  205.495.5619

"The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
for his inner impulse must find suitable expression."

     Wassily Kandinsky, "Concerning The Spiritual In Art"