John O'Gorman schreef:
I have installed the Xen kernel successfully on openSUSE 10.2

But my attempts to use Yast to create VMs have not worked as I expected.
With the help of a friend I have been able to get VMs working and after
quite a lot of fiddling about get all the GNOME graphical desktop stuff
into working order. e.g. the Yast sinks back to text mode when
installing VMs.

Before wasting anyone else's time on this, can we expect the 10.2
version of Yast to be up to the job of fully creating and intalling VMs?

After the trouble I had with paravirtualised VMs I am shrinking from
attempting the fully virtualised ones (I have an IBM x3500 to try it
on).

My impression is that the openSUSE 10.2 Xen is also not up to date with
the Xen site. I expect that this is inevitable.

My ambition is that when I have mastered the use of Xen, I will upgrade
all my client sites to using it so that upgrades for version to version
of Linux may be less traumatic (for me) than they are now.
Is it better to use the source from the Xen site and install VMs by hand
using the basic commands vmcreate and so on, or persist with Yast?

Can anyone knowledgeable comment on these points?

John,

do you mean that in the future, we will be able to install a new distribution by just copying one image ? i must say that i've already read some parts about virtualisation, but i thought a 64 bit system was needed for this, and my experiences with 64 bit versions are not that satisfying...

jef peeraer