On Thursday 31 May 2007 19:42, Joseph Loo wrote:
> You might want to consider vncviewer -via hostname hostname:1. This will
> create a ssh connection to hostname with the same user id you are running
> from.
        Joseph Loo, thank you very much.

        ... this is just another example in my life where a paradigm shift was
desperately needed!  Thanks again!

        I have been creating my own tunnel and running the vncviewer
(serverside)
basically piping the X11 protocol back to the client... for so long that I
just never really considered doing it any other way... and tightvnc has a
*way* better way.

        So, I snooped out the  -via  option and the  VNC_VIA_CMD  environment
variable (didn't know they existed until tonight--- again, thank you.  So,
with the clever trick you just taught me:

        vncviewer -via hostname hostname:1
                        (first password prompt is the tunnel [ssh] password)
                        (second password prompt is the vnc server password on
hostname)

                ----the viewer (clientside) establishes the ssh tunnel
automatically and
then pipes the VNC *protocol* over the tunnel, instead of X11.  This is
*much* faster of course---again, thank you!

        The last piece I have to snoop out here is the VNC_ENV_CMD environment
variable. Using my old scripts some environment is setup (client side, server
side) before and after the tunnel is established and then the vncviewer is
called.  My client side stuff can be done easily enough before I start the
viewer with -via ,  and I think I can modify the VNC_ENV_CMD variable to
accomplish the same thing I was doing with a script serverside... and if so,
then whalla Mr Loo--- you have improved my connection efficiency and speed---
again, thank you thank you!

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><