Greetings! Thank you for taking the time to respond. Today, things are working much better, although I'm not completely certain why. I can see my "MyBook" both as a USB and a Firewire device, so this is very good.
It seems that sometimes the MyBook gets into a funny state that is fixed by cycling power on the MyBook. It seems to work best if I let the MyBook power-up for about a minute before connecting the USB cable. For the sake of completeness, following your kind advice I've been watching /var/log/messages. Below is an example of the communications I occasionally see just before the MyBook stops responding. This occurs when I connect and disconnect it from the computer several times without cycling power on the MyBook. As this isn't the way I intend to use it, it is not a problem, but again, for completeness, the log is below. Thanks again! Sincerely, Mike Albert Jun 9 20:23:21 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: Node resumed: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] G UID[0090a990e011379d] Jun 9 20:23:21 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: Node changed: 0-00:1023 -> 0-01:10 23 Jun 9 20:23:21 Nodename kernel: scsi12 : SBP-2 IEEE-1394 Jun 9 20:23:22 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Logged into SBP-2 device Jun 9 20:23:22 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: Node 0-00:1023: Max speed [S800] - Max payload [4096] Jun 9 20:23:28 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command Jun 9 20:23:28 Nodename kernel: scsi 12:0:1:0: Jun 9 20:23:28 Nodename kernel: command: Inquiry: 12 00 00 00 24 00 Jun 9 20:23:58 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command Jun 9 20:23:58 Nodename kernel: scsi 12:0:1:0: Jun 9 20:23:58 Nodename kernel: command: Test Unit Ready: 00 00 00 0 0 00 00 Jun 9 20:23:58 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: reset requested Jun 9 20:23:58 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Generating sbp2 fetch agent reset Jun 9 20:24:28 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command Jun 9 20:24:28 Nodename kernel: scsi 12:0:1:0: Jun 9 20:24:28 Nodename kernel: command: Test Unit Ready: 00 00 00 0 0 00 00 Jun 9 20:24:28 Nodename kernel: scsi 12:0:1:0: scsi: Device offlined - not r eady after error recovery Jun 9 20:24:28 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: scsi_add_device failed Jun 9 20:24:56 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: Node changed: 0-01:1023 -> 0-00:10 23 Jun 9 20:24:56 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: Node suspended: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] GUID[0090a990e011379d] Jun 9 20:25:09 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: The root node is not cycle master capable; selecting a new root node and resetting... Jun 9 20:25:10 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: Error parsing configrom for node 0 -00:1023 Jun 9 20:25:10 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: Node changed: 0-00:1023 -> 0-01:10 23 Jun 9 20:25:56 Nodename kernel: ieee1394: Node changed: 0-01:1023 -> 0-00:10 23 --- John Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On Friday 08 June 2007, Michael Albert wrote: > > Greetings. > > > > > > > > I just installed Suse10.2 on a Dell > PowerEdge2900. > > > > I can see the USB mouse and keyboard, but I > > > > can find no evidence of a "mybook" external > > > > usb storage device. (It isn't listed on Yast, > > > > no apparent entry in /dev, etc). > > Tail messages while you plug in the MyBook. (use > the > cable that came with the Mybook, not some > substitute.) > > The messages will tell you if it saw anything being > plugged > in. > > Also, are you running the PowerEdge at runlevel 3 or > 5? > > At runlevel 5, I think KDE ends up being responsible > for mounts, but at rl 3 you might have to run the > older > automount stuff. (This is just a guess). > > > -- > _____________________________________ > John Andersen > -- > To unsubscribe, e-mail: > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > For additional commands, e-mail: > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > -- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
