On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 21:54 +0100, Philip Kisloff wrote:
> >  BTW what kind (make/model) of case is the drive mounted in?
>
> Ahem, I bought off ebay - it seems to be made in China. Search "*NEW*
> 120 GB 2.5" External HDD Hard Disk Drive USB 2.0" I didn't honestly know
> it before now, but the housing seems to be rip-off of a SONY label.

  Unfortunate luck there.

> Investigating as far I can, the problem is not with the kernel, but it
> _is_ a hardware (or firmware) issue.  The device reports incorrect
> residue values (?).  This means that it violates the USB Mass Storage
> protocol specification (funny, it claims to be USB2.0 certified).  Mac
> OS X and Windows ignore the bogus residue values but Linux doesn't.
>
> Patch submitted
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/usb/2.6/2.6.20-rc3/usb-storage-unusual_devs-add-supertop-drives.patch
>
> I should not expect that the device won't work with any earlier kernel. I
> guess I don't want to mess
> with a kernel upgrade until I do a full backup, so I'm looking for a new
> storgae device.

  About the kernel upgrade, keep an eye peeled for a new kernel in the
on-line updates, and see if it matches the version numbers listed above,
when that patch propagates through the various distros, you'll be in
business.  Do you know of a kind hearted person who can partition it for
you in Windows?  If so then at least it will be usable until you can do
it yourself.

> And the moral of this story?

  Standards are only standards when they are adhered to.  Even Logitech
violates standards.  :(