On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 08:51 +0300, Sorin Peste wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get Beryl working with openSUSE 10.2 but I haven't
> had much success. To set it up I basically followed
> http://en.opensuse.org/Beryl - and I've tried both AIGLX and just plain
> nVidia drivers.
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> GNOME - Beryl tries to start at login, but after about 20 secs of
> sluggish mouse response, the Fall-back window manager (Kwin in my case)
> starts. If I now manually tell beryl-manager to start beryl as the
> window manager, it manages to do so (again, ~20 secs of sluggish
> response) and it works fine.
> KDE - Completely white screen after login (and again the mouse is
> sluggish). The desktop seems to be there, but since all is white I can't
> do anything but ctrl+alt+backspace.
>
> Has anybody else seen this behavior on openSUSE?
>
> Sorin

I have (on friends machine) - but uninstall all that and install the new
Compiz-Fusion, its the first efforts of the new merged Beryl and Compiz
group.
Works great on nVidia and AIGLX.
Its even fast enough now to run all day on my crappy onboard Intel on my
Dell D820 with 1920x1200 resolution.
Take a look here:
http://dev.beryl-project.org/~cyberorg/suse/38/want-to-take-compiz-fusion-for-a-test-ride/

my instructions (if you cant get above to work):
1. Uninstall current compiz, beryl, emerald etc.
2. Add the following build repo to your package manager (Yast or smart)
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/cyberorg/openSUSE_10.2/
3. Fire up your package manager and install the "compiz-git-all"
package.
4. Start the eye candy with:

a)  compiz --replace ccp &
{this must always run}

b)  kde[or gnome]-window-decorator --replace &
{this must run to provide kde or gnome decorating of windows}

c)  for settings run "ccsm"

5.  If something goes wrong or you are bored with all the cube turning
kill both processes and start "kwin" for KDE or something else for Gnome
(sorry I dont know Gnome).

Hans

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm