On 9/1/07, Andrei Verovski (aka MacGuru) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sunday 02 September 2007 00:30:26 Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> > Not sure about Xen, but you could try KVM or VirtualBox www.virtualbox.org
>
> Thanks for the excellent idea of using KVM, the only question I have, how
> reliable it really is? Server should run 27/7, especially taking into account
> that I am going to use Trixbox telephony server under virtualization.
>
> If KVM crashes, someone of my impatient colleagues may crash something heavy
> on me, you know what does it mean "phone system does not work at all" in a
> busy company. Its a joke of course, but I must be 99.99% sure that it will
> work reliably.

Well, KVM has several issues with *booting* certain guests, but after
boot it works very reliably.

The issues: graphical GRUB menu is the main one. Disable it - make it
text GRUB, and some guest Linux kernels also need nmi_watchdog=0 to
boot.

Guest OSs, that work reliably with KVM are: RedHat/Fedora and Debian
Etch. (needs no workarounds)

Ubuntu, SUSE and Mandriva need workarounds described above to boot.

Just try it.

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"