2007/10/27, Rui Santos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi Ciro,
>
> Try to think of a RAID Array as a single partition. You put a filesystem
> "on top" of a partition or a RAID Array.

I know it's logically a partition/disk, but the important bit there is
"logically", a real partition won't melt down or break into multiple
unusable peaces.

> If the power fails, the -partition- DOES "survive". The filesystem may
> have inconsistencies but it is probably recoverable.
> It is the same principle ( almost ) with a Soft-RAID array.
>
> If you have frequent power loss, IMHO, you should activate RAID
> write-intent bitmapping. The command is mdadm /dev/mdX -Gb internal

That's what i'm talking about, i wonder if that has a performance
penalty. This is the result of the last power outage:

mainwks:~ # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1] [raid0] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [linear]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
      104320 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
      241987008 blocks [2/2] [UU]
      [==>..................]  resync = 11.0% (26760192/241987008)
finish=315.0min speed=11384K/sec

I assume that would look really nasty on a big raid5...

> If you are afraid about a RAID's inconsistency by issuing "echo check >>
> /sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action"
> and check for failures wiht "cat /sys/block/mdX/md/mismatch_cnt".
> If there are failures, correct it with "echo repair >>
> /sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action"
>
> You can also put it on a cron script...
>
> Hope it helps,
> Rui

I will look further on the bitmapping topic.

Thanks a lot
Ciro