On Thursday 24 January 2008 09:54:28 peter wrote:
> Marcus Meissner schrieb:
> |>
> |> Trying to do everything the easy way is what got you in trouble.
>
> Isn't it what computers suppose to do? Easier our lives?

Supposed to? yes, but in case you haven't noticed, it hasn't happened yet :-D
If you want to be as mindlessly trouble-free as possible try Mac OS X or QNX.

> | Especially if he installed NVIDIA drivers manually.
>
> Is there something wrong with that? I don't think so.
> A short pop up with 'You need to reinstall your third party nvidia
> driver after installing this xorg mandatory update' would do the work.

Nothing "wrong" with it, but if you've manually installed something, you have
voluntarily removed yourself from The Realm Of The Fully Automated by choice,
and you then must continue to maintain that out-of-the-automatic experience
yourself.

How exactly is it YaST's (or SuSE's) fault that it doesn't account for
third-party packages installed by people? They'll never be able to keep track
of all the millions of packages that *could* be installed separately by the
user. Ok, perhaps they could /specifically/ watch out for the RPM version of
the nVidia and ATI drivers, but what if it was compiled from a tarball?

If you or I might think that YaST should watch out for graphics
drivers "because they're the most important", but then someone else will
say "Hey my proprietary Winmodem driver is just as important", and then
network cards, sound cards and the list will grow and grow.  And what about
all the other programs in the world that a user might install with rpm or
even compile himself (my favorite is when people install Fedora RPMs or
something else they get from rpmfind.net on SuSE or things like that) that
would break some user's *very*important*  app/game/virtual-something?

        JW