The Saturday 2008-01-26 at 06:27 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

He can generate keys on his local system, however, it is
not possible to store either part on the router.
I have a similar type of router... it's a dumb little
machine meant stricty for interactive administration
(in fact, the ONLY way to do so is through a web
browser)

Mine is a cute little thing, supplied by my ISP with the adsl connection, and made by Broadcom

It has an administration web server, which uses http instead of https for the password, and requires javascript on the client, and text only clients like links or lynx fail.

But it also has telnet and ssh, and you can enable/disable any of them from the local/remote side, or allow from a range of IPs. it also has tftp, to save/upload the configuration or to flash the device.

The console commands are not bash, but it's own limited set of commands:

help
logout
save
save_and_exit
save_and_reboot
restore_defaults
reboot
adsl
atm
brctl
dumpcfg
arp
defaultgateway
dhcpserver
dns
igmp
lan
nat
passwd
ppp
proxyarp
remoteaccess
rip
route
statistics
wan
ping
sntp
snmp
build
tftp
version
wlan
log
macfilter
qos

and that's it. It can send the log of my syslog over the network, so I can see its firewall working, and when the connection failed; it also has snmp that I haven't been able to make much use of it. It does what it is supposed to do quite well for its size and price.

One thing the log doesn't have is the external IP, I have to get it by command. Now that I know how to execute commands using "expect", I could use the trick to detect IP change in the log, and then use the command interface on a script to get the IP and log it. I wonder if I can fire it from syslog-ng.

 to the "'remote' router with embedded" (linux?). Carlos
 didn't say what limited commands were available, or
 whether it was even possible to copy files onto the router.

It seemed pretty obvious to me.

Lots of cheap "home" routers are braindamaged.

We get what we pay for, I guess. Most users will be windows types, and they are not used to the shell. But I would appreciate an https interface, instead or added to the available http.

Ha! I would like the thing having a plugable flash card, so that I could buy my own memory card, program it, and replace its card, and thus play around with the features I wanted instead of theirs. The card being removable would allow ease recovery in case of a bad flashing.

I must be dreaming, not for that Little money!

- -- Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.