Philippe Andersson wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
>> I have an ADSL connection to the Internet. Recently there have been some
>> problems with my phone line, which set me thinking. Is there a standard
>> way to make a log of my internet status (i.e. connection or no
>> connection?) Or perhaps it's already logged and I just need to extract it?
>
> You could try using a network monitoring tool such as Nagios
> (<http://www.nagios.org/>) or a logging and graphing tool such as
> rrdtool (<http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/>). Both are provided as RPM
> packages on OpenSuSE.

Thanks, I'll investigate these.

and G T Smith wrote:
> If you have an ADSL router they usually include a logging facility of
> some sort. In some cases you can configure them to send syslog
> messages to a linux box.

Thanks, I'd prefer a solution that didn't involve the router. A previous
problem proved to be a faulty router (the current problem is the phone
line) so I'd prefer a monitoring technique that doesn't involve trusting
the router. But I'll see what it offers as well.

Cheers, Dave