From: Bob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 7:21 PM
To: opensuse@opensuse.org
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Running slow, / full

On Monday 28 January 2008 17:59:44 Bill Anderson wrote:
> Sunny wrote:
> > On Jan 28, 2008 10:15 AM, Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> My system has started running very slow, and the root directory is
> >> reported as having no free space. I've found a file /proc/kcore which is
> >> the probable culprit, being about 1000MB, with today's date, but even
> >> root is not allowed to move or delete this file.
> >>
> >> My system looks like this:
> >>
> >> Device          Size            Mount point     Free
> >> sda2            965.1MB /               0B
> >> sda3            60.8MB          /boot           46.8MB
> >> sda5            9.8GB           /usr            4.9GB
> >> sda6            2.0GB           /var            1.2GB
> >> sda7            2.0GB           /opt            906.3MB
> >> sda8            1011.4MB        /tmp            926.4MB
> >> sda9            257.3GB /home           154.1GB
> >
> > /proc is virtual file system, which resides in memory, not on disk.
> > Even some files are not actually in memory, but when you read them,
> > you actually receive information from the kernel.
> > In your case, read here for /proc/kcore:
> > <http://www.unixguide.net/linux/faq/04.16.shtml>
> >
> > Run the command "df" to see the how your partitions are filled in.
> > Run "top" to see which process consumes more resources.
> >
> > Note, that if you run firefox for several days w/o stopping it, it may
> > eat a lot of resources.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> I prefer the term pseudo filesystem, since /proc does not reside in
> memory. As with any file system, procfs implements the functions defined
> by vfs, the virtual filesystem. The functions implemented actually read
> from, and in some cases write to, kernel data structures. The pathnames
> under /proc define which functions to call. There are a large number of
> such file systems: rootfs, sysfs, relayfs, tmpfs, and the list goes on.
> It works, because every filesystem is an implementation of vfs.
>
> Bill Anderson
> WW7BA

Hmmm. I can't say I understand much of that :(.

I've been informed off-list that /proc/kcore is simply my running kernel, so
that's probably not the file I'm looking for.

Can anyone suggest a simple CLI incantation to find all files larger than,
say, 500MB?

--
Bob

openSUSE 10.3, Kernel 2.6.22.13-0.3-default, KDE 3.5.8
Intel Celeron 2.53GB, 2GB DDR RAM, nVidia GeForce 7600GS