Bob wrote:
My system has started running very slow, and the root directory is reported as having no free space. I've found a file /proc/kcore which is the probable culprit, being about 1000MB, with today's date, but even root is not allowed to move or delete this file.

My system looks like this:

Device          Size            Mount point     Free
sda2            965.1MB /               0B
sda3            60.8MB          /boot           46.8MB
sda5            9.8GB           /usr            4.9GB
sda6            2.0GB           /var            1.2GB
sda7            2.0GB           /opt            906.3MB
sda8            1011.4MB        /tmp            926.4MB
sda9            257.3GB /home           154.1GB

I've been downloading openSUSE 11.0 Alpha1, via ktorrent for the past 24 hours, but other than that I'm only doing what I always do - read email, news, browse the web, play music.

Hi,

fwiw I experienced such a behaviour with using rsnapshot for backup purposes. When I began, I foolishly forgot to set "no_create_root 1" in rsnapshot conf. Consequently when the backup ran AND the backup disk was not mounted, it created a directory "/media/backup" and the rsnapshot backup filled this until my / was 100% full.

You learn something anytime, indeed.

Kind regards
Eberhard