matt baldree wrote:
Personally, I like these ideas. I think this design would lead people to
cleaner solutions. I think it is time to make some decisions. I think
Rickard should architect XWork. It would then be up to him to
assign/delegate work on different modules, etc. I'm not convinced the
current direction will lead to the best outcome. Rickard has established
himself in past frameworks, application servers and his new portal product
to earn the right to architect XWork. Besides, he mainly wrote WW. I may be
wrong, but I don't remember an e-mail asking if he wanted to architect XWork
or what role he wanted to play. I think this is a mistake. I think we should
at least offer him the opportunity to architect XWork. I think his ideas
have solidified and he is ready to right some code :). So, any dissenters?
I'm not interested in getting XWork out the door quickly but when it does
come out, I want it to be GREAT.
No dissenters then? :-)

I must admit that at first I was reluctant to the idea, since I already have so many "irons in the fire", with the portal product and AOP framework coming along. However, since XWork could borrow so much from the AOP stuff, it's really not that much work, at least for the core (or so it seems). We (my company) are also greatly dependent on XWork being as good as it can be, so that's a huge motivational factor here.

I would hence gladly take on this role, at least when it comes to shaping the core of it. Once the dust settles somewhat, and there will be a lot of dust initially, I think there will be great opportunities for others to do major contributions to it, especially when it comes to creating "standard" interceptors that can be shipped with the framework. Alternative dispatchers is also a very important part.

So, if everyone is ok with me as (initially) main architect, I'll get to it.

/Rickard